Do have Ti plant that needs pruning? If yes then here will explain about cutting it into small to make it healthy again. Below I have included steps on Ti plant Pruning Read On.
Ti Plant Pruning :
- You need pruning shears or cutting tools used in gardening so we can trim it perfectly. Now you need to clean the pruning tool with the rubbing alcohol or household bleach. It helps the pruner to be disinfected and this way while trimming our nice plant won’t get any sort of bacterial infections or disease. As you know if infestation exists in one plant it can reach to another easily.
- Find the diseased, yellowish, shriveled, brown leaves & remove it all so our ti plant will be freed from any dead or uneven leaves and don’t worry it is faster in growing so, will eventually regrow. If you don’t prune these diseased leaves then next day or in the coming days you will find pests like mildew or insects roaming around your plant that gives a big challenge in its growth.
- As you know Ti plant (Cordyline) grows faster and it can reach bigger if it doesn’t trim back to its proper size. Its good if you give it a shape and cutting it up to 5-6 inches from the top or whenever you thought it needs. You can do this by holding stalk one by one with your hand and remove it using pruning shears. You can trim it according to need as some have medium size plants so they need less pruning, but others have this plant grown quite well and larger so they need heavy pruning. After this clean the base soil and don’t leaves any mess as it can develop disease in plant.
Buy Hawaiian Ti Plant :
Give it water & do proper care. Check out Caring Guide of Hawaiian Plant for more info.
Cordyline fruticosa has USDA hardiness 10 to 12 are its preferential zones and its caring inside the house is easy and only needed is pruning occasionally so that it can be in shape and doesn’t overgrow and look bad , although it doesn’t look bad actually but it will take some space so it needs trimming.
It also became popular among people as growing and caring of Hawaiian ti plants is minimal & can be done by anyone who has a little bit of knowledge. Pruning also makes them healthy and sometimes can give new life to a plant.
What You Need for Pruning :
- Pair of pruning shears for cutting
- Rubbing alcohol to clean the cutting tool.
- Gloves for safety.
LotusMagus.com Tips: You can ignore tap water and use rain or RO water without fluoride as ti plant has leaves which may get burns or brown spots if it has fluoride toxicity.
Ti Plant Information
Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa) is an evergreen tropical ornamental plant that has dark maroon leaves that adds beauty to its appearance. This flowering plant is Native to Southeast Asia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Pacific islands. It has some common names like dracaena, cabbage palm, Hawaiian Ti, red sister, palm lily and good luck tree. It is a member of asparagaceae and has the botanical name Cordyline fruticosa. But whatever you call it , you might get busy later on doing ti plant pruning as it grows quite well and faster reaching 15 feet tall easily and spreading about 7-8 feet.
After Pruning Ti plant Care
Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa) needs a humid environment as well as they are able to grow in full light to partial shade locations. These plants don’t like being dried so watering is a necessary requirement. It is advised that growing them in filtered light can result in beautiful foliage.
Temperature for this plant is 66 to 84 F and make sure it doesn’t go below 55-60 F. Pruning is a way to make ti plant into manageable size and also gives the gardener healthy cutting for propagation.
More Information on Ti Plants
According to Hawaii.edu It is believed that in Hawaiian islands are connected with good fortune. These Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa) are an attractive figure and also it can turn aside evil energy. It has very colorful foliage and looks fantastic to grow on this island. It can be widely propagated using stem cutting for faster rooting but do you know seed propagation is very popular back in decades nowadays easy approach is preferred.
Cutting 2 inch can be enough for propagation and if you ever purchase it see if it’s healthy stem and any damaged free.
How do you prune a Ti plant?
First hold the stalks of Ti plant in one hand, before pruning wear gloves for safety then prune it one by one and make it shorter. Trimming Ti plant or cordyline fruticosa is easy and it grows again so don’t worry much. You can prune it back upto 6-7 inches from the soil surface. We know that cutting them down to 7 inches is seen as drastic but if it’s overgrown then do it. New shoots will appear in ti plant and growth will come back. Focus more on those stalks also that are diseased or leaves that are looking pale.
Can Ti plants be cut back?
Cutting ti plant is an easy process and you can do it with instructions. You should note that there are also some discolored leaves or damaged stalks which need to be pruned. For overgrown growth cut back to 6-8 inches and you should do that in the growing season. Pruning done to make it smaller and healthy also.
Want to learn About North American Style Gardening methods? Check out this Book by Edward C. Smith
Can I cut the top off my Cordyline?
Cordyline thrives best when they are in controlled growth and it makes them free from disease also and doesn’t stress the plant. If they are too tall and it’s time to prune, Use a cutting tool that is cleaned with rubbing alcohol and remove the top growing and cut down to 5-6 inches, it will regrow and won’t affect the growth.
Can you trim Cordyline plants?
Yes you can trim Cordyline plants because they overgrow and are big tall , to control its growth you need to cut off some stalks. You can cut the stalks from the base and it will reproduce itself so don’t worry about cutting these plants. Take a stalk and cut back and do until it shortens its size.
Also Read :
Pygmy date palm – How to Grow (Phoenix roebelenii) – Caring Guide