If you are curious what will happen if you touch a snake plant or are snake plant toxic to humans, or may be if you have pet dog or cat what will happen if they eat it? so here I will be answering all this questions before that let me tell you snake plant is a one-way tropical plant that was found in Africa and Southeast Asia, and today its discussion is all over the world. The botanical name of this plant is Sansevieria trifasciata, and it has been included in the top list of the most popular houseplant. The plant is also included in the top 5 best indoor plant category. This plant is like an environmental gift as it helps in eliminating very harmful gas, much of that gas is found indoors. Let me tell you that you have to face every season here. Reducing the lack of care of this plant is readable, and propagating here is as much as 2–4 or so as you can get.
Table of Contents
Are Snake Plants Toxic To Humans?
Yes Snake plant is poisonous to humans, dogs, cats and the gastrointestinal effect of snake plant can upset the stomach if consumed by dog, cat or children. So it means Snake plant is toxic and non edible. Here it can be grown at both indoors outdoors whether it is a garden or a pot or a container. Snake plant stays in a partial shade, but you can give direct sunlight to it because that is good for its growth and it can make this plant more stronger. Snake plant is toxic from inside but the benefits it provides to humans like cleaning indoor air is powerful.
Before starting the article let me tell you something which is important for you. As you all know, where the development is increasing, people are gradually shifting from rural to urban areas.
Maximum people shift to urban cities because of their jobs, but in urban areas that we all spend 90% of our time indoors, yes whether you are on job or at home we spend all our time indoors. So scientist did a study on whether the pollution of indoors is harmful or outdoor and what they found is indoors have too much pollution than outdoors as this pollution came from filth in windows or congested apartments. All the pollution of the outdoors, such as cars, buses, trucks, motor-wise, all the smoke that goes out of it later goes into the homes of common people.
NASA has talked about some such plants by which air pollution is being removed. In the ancient period this plant is used for many medicinal purposes and its green leaves are mainly for wound dressing. In Malaysia mother in-law’s tongue plant was used to solve swelling, fever, ear pains, and boils , it’s like an ointment that was used back in the time.
One study showed that it was effective in terms of treating an issue called callosities that happen in the toes and fingers. This plant showed great medicinal uses that can be used to solve many problems of human beings. Every research is worth and these plants can play a major role in development of medical science.
Sansevieria plant ( Snake plant) extracts are very effective and have minimal side effects on the skin. This plant may be dangerous to dogs but it may give a medical boost in making new medicines.
Are snake plants toxic to touch?
Snake plant is safe to touch and is not toxic when your finger mistakenly touches it don’t worry you won’t get any problem as you get touched the snake plant from outside. Snake plants are only poisonous when ingested or eaten. So next time when you see the leaves of a snake plant touching your hand don’t worry it won’t hurt until you accidentally touch the sharp leafy point.
I would still suggest you to wear glasses so you can protect your hands from getting dirt. We generally touch the snake plant leaves when we are doing pruning and removing bad foliage from our air purifying plant. While repotting or doing trimming you should always wear gloves. Many gardeners I see don’t use gloves as they have decades of experience in it but for beginners it’s highly recommended to prevent any sharp leaf from touching you or your children.
Is snake plant pet friendly?
Snake plants are not pet friendly and your dog, cat can mistakenly eat its leaves and you don’t know. To make sure your pet doesn’t eat snake plants, you should train them and provide timely food which is important as if they are hungry pets will not hesitate to eat any plant nearby.
I also have a dog but he doesn’t eat any snake plant specially I have over 14-20 these type of plant pots but I make sure he had full stomach so i timely provide him food. Otherwise if your pet ingested any of the leaf it can be harmful and toxic, might show symptoms like diarrhea vomiting. If you don’t know what to do, call the pet care center of your area immediately.
Also you can put pots of snake plant to a location where your pet doesn’t come often. This will surely make them don’t want to go to a location where the owner doesn’t present. My dog doesn’t generally go where I don’t go, he sits with me, sleeps with me and the hall doesn’t have any plants. I Put all the plants outside of my house, some of them are inside but I make sure somebody is watching my pet if I am not here.
Also It didn’t happen to my dog ever as I actually fulfill his needs like food and going to the playground or walking. He understands what I say and he is intelligent, still I have saved the no. of pet care centers so if something happens i would be the first person to take him to the vet/hospital.
What if my dog eats a snake plant?
If your dog eats a snake plant, immediately call a pet care center or go to a vet hospital nearby. Your dog might show signs of uneasiness and the stomach may be giving it a hard time. If your dog eats the leaves of a snake plant then understand it’s toxic so you can see he might be vomiting and have some stomach related problem. Dog may see some leaves in his mouth or teeth so you can remove it by yourself and also wear gloves because the snake plant leafy liquid may irritate you.
Faster your dials up vet doctor or goes to pet center, the faster your dog can be saved. Also if you have pets save a vet number in case of an emergency.
What are the signs of snake plant poisoning in a dog?
Some of the signs in dogs after getting poisoned by snake plants are diarrhea, nausea, stomach problems, vomiting, uneasiness, sleepiness and unrest. You should immediately call the vet or go to animal hospital for immediate treatment.
What Parts Of Snake plant Are Poisonous or Toxic?
The parts of a snake plant that are poisonous are the leaves and the stem. The leaves are toxic because they contain saponins which is a type of toxin found in plants. The stem is toxic because it contains oxalic acid which is a type of toxin found in plants.
What Are The Symptoms Of Poisoning?
Snake plant poisoning is a type of plant toxicity that occurs when someone accidentally ingests the sap from a snake plant. This can happen when someone eats or drinks the sap or if they get it on their skin. If you suspect that you have been exposed to snake plant poisoning, seek medical attention. The symptoms of snake plant poisoning are as follows:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, jaundice, and abdominal swelling.
How To Protect Pet Owners From The Snake Plant?
The succulent plant known as a snake plant can be avoided in a few different ways. The simplest method is to put on gloves whenever you are near the plant. You can also put on a mask or a dust mask if you are allergic to them.
Furthermore, snake plants are extremely dangerous to both people and animals. Because of this, pet owners should exercise caution when around snake plants. You must act fast if your dog or cat unintentionally eats on a snake plant. As soon as you can, you should take your pet to the veterinarian or an animal hospital.
What Happens When People Consume Snake Plants?
People run the risk of getting poisoned when they consume snake plants. While some individuals may be aware that snake plants can be poisonous, few people are aware that they can also cause nausea, diarrhoea, vertigo, and even coma. If you or a loved one is ingesting snake plants, get help right once.
What To Do When Someone Consumes a Snake Plant?
If someone has eaten a snake plant and is experiencing vomiting or diarrhea, they should go to the hospital. If they are experiencing other symptoms such as a rash or abdominal pain, they should contact their doctor immediately.
How to Stay Safe from the Toxic Effects of a Snake Plant?
Learn how to protect yourself from the snake plant’s harmful effects if you have one in your house. First, make sure you don’t touch any of the plant’s parts, including the leaves. Additionally, you need to make sure that you keep this plant away from youngsters and dogs. Make careful to use gloves if you plan to operate close to a snake plant.
Why You Still Need to Have a Snake Plant at Home
There are numerous benefits to keeping snake plants in your house. The air in your home can be cleaned by snake plants, and they can also aid with respiratory issues like allergies and asthma. You can keep it on a windowsill or anyplace else in the house because it doesn’t require much light to develop.
Here are the links to buy Snake plant :
Variegated Snake Plant (*MOST POPULAR)
Snake Plant ( Sansevieria trifasciata )
Pots for Snake plants
Mkono Plastic Planters
I Hope you like this article and Thanks for reading.
Check Similar Articles :
- Therapeutic Effects of Sansevieria Trifasciata Ointment in Callosities of Toes